No one wants their skin to look like this. Although I used to feel like this is what my skin looked like sometimes. So how can we keep this from happening? Well using a proper skincare routine is a wonderful start. And I do have to say, ahem, Av Jorden has some lovely natural products that will make your skin so soft you won't be able to keep your hands off of it. 😉 Also, what we eat, our environment, how much sleep we get.... it all affects our skin. However, we will go into that another time. I want to talk about the one thing everyone on the planet should be doing for their skin RIGHT NOW. Without it, no amount of anti-wrinkle creams, masks, serums, salves, or anything else we can slather on will truly help our skin look its best. They will help, don't get me wrong. But your skin still won't be at its optimal appearance unless you are doing ONE thing. What is this magical thing you ask? Where can you get it and how much is it going to cost you ask? Well, you easily have access to it and it doesn't cost much at all. Say what?!?! One of the most crucial parts in any skincare regimen is to drink plenty of water!
Water is essential to our body. Without enough of it, we start to fall apart. Ok, you won't really fall apart but some days it may feel like it. 😉 Our skin is composed of 64% water. It needs you to stay hydrated in order to help minimize signs of aging. Your skin may be brighter, a little more plump, and even possibly clearer just by getting in enough of this liquid gold on a constant basis. I can tell when I haven't drank enough water. My fine lines show a little more, and no one wants that! While my face creams and eye balm don't make it as noticeable as when I used my old skincare products (ugh it was bad) I can tell if I didn't meet my "quota."
So how much water should one drink in a day? It is recommended that you drink AT LEAST half your body weight in ounces. For example, if your weight is 150 lbs. you should be drinking at least 75 oz. of water every day. Personally, I try to drink at least 3/4 of my weight in ounces. Sometimes it is more. While that may seem like a lot, when you live in a dry climate like Denver it is necessary. And if you drink caffeine or alcohol, double the intake of water for every ounce of dehydrating beverage you consume to counteract it. For example, say you have a 12 oz. coffee. You then need 24 oz. of water to keep your body from getting parched and angry with you. So how can you gulp down such a large amount of water to make sure you get in your daily dose? Here are a few tips that can help if you struggle drinking enough:
- Find some sort of water bottle that makes drinking water very easy for you. For me it is my Camelbak. Give me any other water bottle and I won't drink as much. The straw is what does the trick for me. I can chug the entire thing in under a minute and not realize I just drank 33 oz. of water. It's crazy! For some people it's a squeeze bottle that works, and even others just a regular lid. Find what works best for you and make sure you are filling that thing up throughout the day and take it with you EVERYWHERE. My water bottle never leaves my side. It goes wherever I go. Ok, my son caught me on this one. It goes everywhere except for the bathroom.
- If you already have a water bottle you love and cannot live without, set a goal on how many you need to drink by the end of the day. My goal is to drink 2 bottles before noon and at least 2 before bed. Not going to lie, sometimes I get busy during the day so I drink 4 before bed. While I may be up going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, my skin is much happier in the morning for it.
- Some people have a very difficult time drinking plain old water. I totally feel you. I used to have the same problem. One thing that helped me was cutting up fruit and "infusing" it with my water. My favorite combo I have tried is lemon, cucumber, and mint. I fill a 20 cup container with water and slice one lemon, half a cucumber, and add in 6-8 mint leaves. I let it sit in the fridge for one full day before drinking. OH. MY. GOODNESS!! Extremely refreshing! There are all sorts of ideas on the interwebs if you need some helpful ideas on what to infuse your water with. Another fave of mine is strawberries and lemon. YUM!
- Use your phone as a reminder. We use our phones for everything. Why not set reminders to drink water? I have heard there are apps you can use to help track your water intake. I personally haven't tried any of them. But if that is your thing and it helps you... GO FOR IT!
- I am a lover of all things coffee. MMMMMMMMM..... coffee! However before I can have my cup of gloriousness, I make myself drink at least 16 oz. of water. Since doing this, I have noticed a HUGE difference. I not only feel better, but my skin no longer feels like I just walked through the Sahara when I finish my coffee. And my body doesn't have to play catch up because I make sure it is fully hydrated.
Do you have any helpful tips on how to make sure you get your water in for the day? Share below. I'd love to hear what has helped you. Or if you are struggling, what is your biggest battle?